10/12/2015

Happy Holiday?

Today is technically a holiday but many people have chosen to either simply not celebrate or protest the name "Columbus Day". I have a friend who was visiting Harvard this weekend and told me that there was a protest going on right next to her!


In case you are unaware of this movement, Christopher Columbus wasn't exactly a saint - being that his biggest accomplishment was "finding" America. Some schools have even taken the step in renaming the holiday themselves, like University of Alaska Southeast and Oklahoma University (Boomer Sooner!). Also, this happened and I couldn't help my laughter.

This may not seem like a big deal at first, but if you do a bit of research, it won't be hard to find multiple reasons to dislike Christopher Columbus. For the time being, however, enjoy your extra day off if you received one!

xx
Catch you next time.  

1 comment

  1. I think changing the name to Indigenous Peoples Day would be the right move for a country with such race issues.
    Love,

    Ane | Basque Prep

    ReplyDelete

Hello, hello! I love reading your thoughts, favorites, and advice - I read every single comment so do not be afraid to share them! Please remember, however, to ensure your comments are kind and/or constructive. The content is yours, but I reserve the right to remove comments I see as irrelevant or rude.

Latest Instagrams

© Southwest Prep. Design by Fearne.