1/15/2015

Thoughts on the First Week Back

There's something calming about the wind, don't you think? I, of course, am talking about the nice, subtle breezes typical of the Fall and Spring, rather than the 30 mile per hour gusts threatening to pick you up and carry you away. I was strongly considering purchasing a bike for this semester, but to be honest, I quite like walking to class! Not only is it a way to ensure I'm forcing myself to exercise a bit, but also because when you ride a bike, you often move too quickly to take in everything that is going on around you (from the people playing on the intramural fields to seeing a friend walking in the opposite direction).


Well, it is pretty much the end of my first week back to school! No Friday classes means more time for my online courses as well as *hopefully* have a little fun (read: leave my room). It has been a slightly more-stressful-than-usual Syllabus Week considering the majority of my in-person classes are on the Monday/Wednesday schedule and most of my professors decided to give us some work right off the bat.

Luckily my schedule is a lot lighter on Tuesday/Thursday, so I was able to get a decent amount of sleep last night. I actually have only one class on Thursdays (yay hybrid courses!). I decided to take a Public Speaking class to better hone my presentation skills - my professor has had a lot of experience in giving innovative, informational talks as well as persuasive and motivational speeches! (I'm heading over there as I post this now!)

The class I am most excited for this semester is definitely my Women in Literature: Jane Austen class! I love Jane Austen - P&P, S&S, Emma, Persuasion, all of it. I read some of her works in high school, but I can't help but feel that I didn't read as much into it as I could have. My professors are the cutest old married couple (and he's always wearing a bow tie!), and I am so excited! They are so sweet, and really funny - can you just imagine a cute elderly couple arguing over literature?

I haven't been able to blog lately because I was really busy moving back down here and judging (surprise! but wait for the rest) at a national circuit tournament! For me, that's *kind of* a big deal. I love that judging at tournaments has given me a way to keep in touch with what was essentially my world during high school - it makes me feel that although I can already tell being in college has changed me, it reminds me that I'm still me. Still Mikkaela. Just a bit different, well, maybe more than just a bit!

As my course schedule firms up and I happily write-in every single class, event, and essay into my multiple paper and electronic planners, I should be able to develop a regular posting schedule! I'm so excited for this new year, new semester. I have a lot of stuff planned for the blog, so thanks for joining me on this roller coaster that's only going up (I know it's a TFIOS quote, but hey Looking for Alaska's 10th year anniversary edition was just released - go buy it!).

How was your first day/week back to school? Are you taking any interesting classes? Let me know down in the comments, I'd love to hear all about it!

xx
Catch you next time.

6 comments

  1. I love the wind, and I am so glad you get to go back to class!

    xo katie // a touch of teal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good first week back! I definitely understand the professors giving out work the first week but I'm glad it worked out! Congrats on judging a national circuit! Have a great semester!

    Lauren | The Arizona Prepster

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you had a great first week back! i sure do miss that campus, go devils! ;)

    xo brie
    www.sophistifunkblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Always great to meet another SunDevil! Forks up!

      Delete

Hello, hello! I love reading your thoughts, favorites, and advice - I read every single comment so do not be afraid to share them! Please remember, however, to ensure your comments are kind and/or constructive. The content is yours, but I reserve the right to remove comments I see as irrelevant or rude.

Latest Instagrams

© Southwest Prep. Design by Fearne.