8/24/2015

The Opportunity Cost: Is It Worth It?

This past weekend I had a blast at Camp Carey and can't wait to share a few stories and pictures with y'all! Unfortunately, a few little hiccups means I can't do that just yet - hopefully Wednesday will be the day.

Since I got back to ASU yesterday afternoon, I've been going non-stop: unpacking, laundry, homework, errands, meeting, laundry, homework, and finally blog. I'm not going to lie, I am quite tired as I write this.

But I am still up and doing this because I chose to make a sacrifice, an opportunity cost. I chose to give up time I could have been spending around my apartment spreading out various tasks between sessions of Netflix and lounging by the pool to instead go to help facilitate at Camp Carey and get to know some of the new freshmen. And it was more than worth it.



Some people with different personalities would argue that my choice of how to spend my time this past weekend was not worth it even though I believe it was. But that's the thing here: worth is subjective. Sometimes it can be hard to weigh opportunity costs because of how subjective it can be, so here are a few quick tips to help you evaluate some if you are caught between two and can't decide.

Why Do You Want to Do This? | Are you doing this for fun? Or are you doing it because other people are doing it? This may not always apply, but do you want to do this for the right reasons? Take it down to the root and try to figure out the reason you want to do something. If it's a gut feeling, then maybe you should evaluate how accurate your gut has been in the past and decide from there.

What Are The Risks? | This seems like common sense, but you know what they say - sometimes common sense isn't too common. I have seen way too many people jump into risky situations without even stopping to think about the other possible outcomes. I definitely agree there are certain situations/times you may throw caution to the wind, but obviously if your mind keeps floating to this idea, then maybe you should take a little more time evaluating your choices before making your decision.

Do You Have Faith in Your Follow-Through? | Super important. You know yourself better than most, if not all, people. You know most of your habits. If you committed to getting a project done on X day, do you do everything in your power to make it happen? Or do you just push it off and shrug? For me, the bottom line was if I was going to make sure that I still got everything I needed to do done with the limited time I would have because I attended the camp. If I really didn't think I could handle it, I would not have gone on the trip. If you aren't willing to push yourself to follow-through on necessary parts of your regular life, making decisions like going away for the weekend probably aren't the best ideas for you.

Do you have any tips for evaluating opportunity costs? What's the hardest part for you?

xx
Catch you next time.

16 comments

  1. Life lessons right here! Finding balance is always a bit tricky, particularly as life brings ever-changing commitments and responsibilities. I try to remember that time is always in limited supply so for each thing I say yes to, I'm effectively saying "no" to something else. I'm always trying to choose the "Best Yes". Which is also the title of a great book if you haven't read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great time this weekend!
    I think experiences like that help shape you as a person so I would've participated as well.

    Love it!

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great questions to ask yourself! I usually make pro/con lists when I need to make tough decisions, but it's often hard for me to be honest about the 'cons'.

    Alessandra | blog.pumpup.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of the best things in life take tons of work meaning there is less time for Netflix/other relaxing activities but I think you're right the opportunity is often worth the cost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I think the opportunity was definitely worth the cost. If it was worth it for you, then that's all that matters! <3
    Lauren
    The Fashionista's Diary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! Sometimes we have to give things up to have time for other things. The opportunity is always worth it if it makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an amazing post!
    Sometimes the benefits outweigh the cost. What I mean by this is that the experience you are gaining you will not only learn from, but will probably make you an even better person. During my summers, I work at a summer camp. I have been offered jobs that pay 20x better than my little summer camp job, and are WAAAYYY less hours, but I always choose to go back for other reasons. Working (for literally about $3hr) at this camp with all these kids have helped me to become a much better individual and to value my life so much more. It also makes me happy to be there. So why not sacrifice a little for an experience that you enjoy!

    I am supper happy to be following your blog on Pinterest, Twitter and bloglovin!
    can't wait to keep up!

    xo
    Christina
    http://www.christina-loraine.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post couldn't have come at a better time. I'm working through some issues in my personal life that are all about the opportunity costs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this post! I have become involved with too many organizations, and while I love helping my community, I realize that it has started to wear me out. My goal is to focus on one or two organizations that I feel the most passionate about. I will definitely think back to this post when trying to decide what to be involved with and whether or not I should take on a new project. You are one wise lady :)

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely weigh the opportunity costs everyday with blogging. These are great things to keep in mind, loved this post!

    xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these tips for examining your to-do list every day, really! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. PERFECT lesson!! I know people struggle through college with this, but your tips really help with the thought process!

    Nicole // Chronicling Home

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love this post and love to hear you had great time this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right...it's SO much about follow through. We have to be able to realistically analyze something and be honest with ourselves!

    Coming Up Roses

    ReplyDelete
  15. I go through this a lot when I'm deciding whether or not to join an organization on campus. I usually go for it, but sometimes I have to take a step back and analyze. Great post!

    Kayla | kaylablogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post is spot on! The camp sounds like it was a great opportunity for you and the freshmen that you helped!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, hello! I love reading your thoughts, favorites, and advice - I read every single comment so do not be afraid to share them! Please remember, however, to ensure your comments are kind and/or constructive. The content is yours, but I reserve the right to remove comments I see as irrelevant or rude.

Latest Instagrams

© Southwest Prep. Design by Fearne.