3/09/2016

Spring Break Book Box

Earlier this year, I kept mentioning that exciting things were happening with TSP and I am so excited to announce that this is one of them - I have developed a partnership of sorts with Seventeen Magazine as part of the Seventeen Social Club! That means lots of fun stuff coming up on the blog and I hope y'all are ready for this.

It's Spring Break and for many college students, that means traveling! My two favorite things to do while traveling? Sleeping and reading! It has been a while since I've been able to simply pick up a book to read for pleasure (LOL thanks, College), which is why I was really excited when I received this Spring Break Book Box from Seventeen. These are both books I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own in the store but found interesting in their own ways.


To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before – Jenny Han

Before I read this book, I had only ever heard one of my roommates mention that a friend of theirs was reading a Jenny Han book. When I saw the title, I honestly cringed because I was scared it was going to be the YA-est of YA novels.

What ended up happening, you ask? I actually really liked it. The beginning was admittedly a bit slow and difficult to get into, but I really fell in love with Han’s characters, from main character Lara Jean to her adorable little sister Kitty.

Lara Jean is so normal and some of the thoughts she has, without spoiling the story, are just so relatable. Writing letters for closure on a crush isn’t a crazy idea, it’s definitely something I thought about when I was younger. I am no great writer, but there is just something about being able to put your thoughts on paper (or in the case of this blog, in type) that makes it easier to deal with them.

It has been a long time since I’ve read a fiction novel that actually gave me feels. Right in the heart. I liked this book so much that I went looking for and binge-read the sequel (as per usual trend, the sequel is never as great as the original, but I felt too invested in the story to stop reading).

So if you need a nice novel to read in the car or on the plane, I’d definitely recommend Han’s TATBILB. It’s a good length for a trip and is eventful and relatable enough to keep you reading.

Kill the Boy Band – Goldy Moldavsky

Kill the Boy Band caught me completely off-guard. I had no knowledge of this book whatsoever before picking it up to read. When my little sister saw me pull it out of my purse to begin reading this past weekend, she literally yelled “Oh my god, that book – you have to tell me what you think of it. The reviews are so mixed.”

Well, sorry-but-not-too-sorry to say I’m adding to that pile of confusion.

This book is… Interesting. To say the least.

For those of you who follow me on Tumblr, you very well know that I identify myself as a fangirl. I will definitely geek out over Harry Potter, Marvel characters, and adorable gifs of Benedict Cumberbatch. It happens. But Moldavsky’s debut novel is filled with pieces of hilarity interspersed with dark craziness and a little too much reality for my liking.

You may be thinking, “Reality? What in the world are you talking about, Mikkaela?” Well, being a fangirl I have an idea of how crazy people can go over their favorite celebrities. I am very happy to say I have never gone ballistic over someone, but my time on Tumblr and at a few concerts has definitely exposed me to the reality that characters like those in Modavsky’s novel quite frankly exist.

This is not a cute beach read, unless confusing and slightly dark comedy is right up your alley. Would I read this book again? Maybe, probably in an attempt to absorb the story once again with a little less shock from the first go-around.

Special thanks to the Seventeen Social Club for sponsoring this post!

xx
Catch you next time.

6 comments

  1. Reading is my favorite hobby!! I love the idea of a book box, even better than a makeup box!!

    Carley @ preppylane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book box? How wonderful! I need to look into how I can get some of those. I love books of all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome is this?
    I love reading so this is right up my alley.

    xoxo, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun and interesting reads! Have you read any Rainbow Rowell books, specifically Fangirl? Haha, you may really enjoy it. It's so cute!

    http://madelinemarieblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! I mostly read business books and stuff like that, right now I'm reading Big Magic! As a blogger, I think you'd love it! It's about creativity :). I love to hear that you read a ton though, it's so important in life and I didn't read a lot until later. Great post
    Danielle | AccordingtoD.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can wait until mid April when my exams are done and I can devour all the books on my list! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, hello! I love reading your thoughts, favorites, and advice - I read every single comment so do not be afraid to share them! Please remember, however, to ensure your comments are kind and/or constructive. The content is yours, but I reserve the right to remove comments I see as irrelevant or rude.

Latest Instagrams

© Southwest Prep. Design by Fearne.