8/11/2014

Farewell to Our Dear Captain

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."


What a day today has been. My morning was simply spent watching Netflix and washing my new sheet sets for college. After making myself a nice sandwich for lunch I spent some time on Pinterest and wrote my earlier QOTW post. I soon left my lovely air-conditioned house to pick-up my younger siblings from school. We even passed by Wal-Mart to grab a snack. It wasn't until I arrived back home hours later that I really took the time to check my phone. Covering my screen were the the heartbreaking notifications: the amazing Robin Williams had left us. I was absolutely speechless. 

Robin Williams has been an actor unlike many others - he infiltrated our lives in the best way, making a place for himself in the hearts of people everywhere. Not only was he generous in kindness and humor, but he worked hard to share his passion with others. He has been in so many parts of my life, from wanting to be a Disney princess and wanting a friend just like Genie to wishing I went to a private boarding school with my very own Mr. Keating. It's awful to think about the circumstances surrounding this goodbye, but it's amazing to stop and think for a minute about the impact he has had on people in his sixty-three years.

Here are just a few pictures from some of my favorite Robin Williams films:


Aladdin was the first Disney movie I can remember watching! Jasmine has always been one of my favorite Princesses, but Genie always had a special place in my heart.

The amount of sass Robin Williams showed off in both the original and the sequel is enough to make almost anybody break out into a fit of giggles.



Jumanji is definitely a different type of film, but the spirit with which Robin Williams brought the lost and out-of-touch Alan Parrish to life gives the film a little more depth.


I've always felt that he was perfect for Peter Pan. He was able to truly keep in touch with his inner child in a way not too many other people have. 


This is such an iconic scene that has been referenced, meme'd, and watched an infinite amount of times. My English teacher junior year showed this film in class during our Transcendentalism unit. I was already excited over Emerson (I know, Nerd Alert!) but watching Dead Poets Society opened me up more to other authors, including Walt Whitman.

Good Will Hunting is an amazing movie; moments such as this one just made me love Robin Williams even more.

Farewell Mr. Robin Williams, our Alan Parrish, Sean Maguire, Peter Pan, Mrs. Doubtfire, Genie, and Mr. Keating. O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells; Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills.

xx
Catch you next time.

1 comment

  1. So sad. He was a part of my childhood with his great family friendly films.


    God bless,
    Xo, Claire
    Http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello, hello! I love reading your thoughts, favorites, and advice - I read every single comment so do not be afraid to share them! Please remember, however, to ensure your comments are kind and/or constructive. The content is yours, but I reserve the right to remove comments I see as irrelevant or rude.

Latest Instagrams

© Southwest Prep. Design by Fearne.